Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Smart Baby or Lab Rat

On Friday Davis and I took a journey to the University of Texas at Austin (UT) Department of Psychology Children's Research Laboratory.  We got a call earlier in the week asking if we were willing to participate in a study on how infants discriminate small numerosities (specifically two versus three).  I thought this would be fun so we volunteered.

The procedure was rather simple.  I held Davis on my lap while he watched images on a computer monitor.  I was asked to close my eyes because babies are very connected and sensitive to the feelings of their caregiver.  I was told that the images were safe, birds, trucks, etc. so I agreed.  We will be receiving a newsletter once the testing is all done and the final results are in.  It was a nice experience, the staff and students were great and they all loved Davis.  He got a gift upon departure and happily drooled all over it as we left.  They asked if we were willing to do any additional tests in the future and we said, well I said, yes.   

No comments: